Voting 5-2, the Smyrna City Council agreed on May 20 to expand the boundaries for the serving of alcoholic beverages in open containers by adding and expanding “Restaurant Districts.”
Opposed were Councilwomen Andrea Blustein and Susan Wilkinson.
In favor were Councilmen Derek Norton, Charles Welch, Tim Gould and Ron Fennel and, sponsor of the motion, Councilwoman Maryline Blackburn.
Now Concord Linear Park at 1035 Concord Road SE, including all of the park, will be a new Restaurant District.
The borders of the Smyrna Market Village Restaurant District will be expanded to include the Gazebo area next to the Arboretum at the corner of Powder Springs Street and Village Green Circle next to the Smyrna Community Center.
Also, the Smyrna Market Village Restaurant District will be connected with the Belmont Hills Restaurant District by way of the multi-use trail on Atlanta Road from Powder Springs Street to Fleming Street.
“The expansions are intended to provide continuity and allow pedestrian traffic between the Smyrna Market Village and the Belmont Hills commercial area without leaving a Restaurant District,” according to city staff.
In November, the Council voted 7-0 to add three Restaurant Districts for Belmont, Jonquil Plaza and Riverview Landing and to expand the Smyrna Market Village Restaurant District.