The Alpharetta City Council has approved, with conditions, a developer’s plan to preserve a historic house as part of a detached-home project with 58 for-sale dwellings on the north side of Cumming Street between North Main Street (Ga. 9) and Manning Drive.
The developer, Taylor Morrison, asked that the city rezone 10.87 acres from R-15 (Dwelling, “For Sale” Residential) to DT-R (Downtown Residential) to allow the 58 homes, according to a staff report to council.
The developer also sought to have 0.84 acres rezoned from R-15 to DT-LW (Downtown Live-Work) to allow the historic Lewis-Manning House to be restored and used as an office.
The Lewis-Manning House, a two-story Queen Anne, was built in 1895 for Col. Tom Lewis and was sold to the Manning family in 1905. Staff noted the request was similar to the East of Main development, where the Ben Manning House was saved and restored as a professional office.