Local News

DeKalb corruption revelations expected soon

By Mark Niesse
Aug 27, 2015

Details of corruption and waste in DeKalb County’s government are expected to be released soon in a final report being prepared by outside investigators.

The investigators, former Georgia Attorney General Mike Bowers and Richard Hyde, have been combing through documents and interviewing witnesses for five months in an effort to expose government misbehavior.

They called the county “rotten to the core” in a letter to Interim DeKalb CEO Lee May earlier this month, but May rejected that allegation because he said most government employees are honest.

The extent of corruption found by the investigation remains to be seen. DeKalb spokesman Burke Brennan said the report is expected to be delivered next week.

About the Author

Mark Niesse is an enterprise reporter and covers elections and Georgia government for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution and is considered an expert on elections and voting. Before joining the AJC, he worked for The Associated Press in Atlanta, Honolulu and Montgomery, Alabama. He also reported for The Daily Report and The Santiago Times in Chile.

More Stories