While the funeral and visitation for the late Kent Lawrence has been canceled, a procession organized by Athens police in his honor will continue Tuesday.
Lawrence, who starred for the Georgia Bulldogs in the 1960s, was an Athens-Clarke Country state court judge until his retirement in 2011. He died this past Friday.
The Clarke-County Sheriff’s Office, Athens-Clarke County Police Department, and University of Georgia Police Department will lead a memorial procession Tuesday escorting Lawrence and his family through the city of Athens. People are welcome to assemble along the route which will begin at Lord and Stephens East Funeral Home at 10:00 a.m. and travel:
- Eastbound on Lexington Road into downtown Athens
- Right on Thomas Street
- Left onto Washington Street passing the Courthouse
- Right onto Jackson Street
- Left onto Hancock Avenue
- Left onto College Avenue passing City Hall
- Right onto Broad Street
- Left onto Lumpkin Street
- Left onto Cedar Street
- Left onto Sanford Drive passing Sanford Stadium
- Right onto Baldwin Street
- Right onto Oconee Street