Police in Oregon responded early Monday morning to an alleged marijuana overdose at the Sunriver Resort.
Officers located a 37-year-old woman slumped over in the bathroom. Sergeant Joe Patnode stated that the woman was lethargic, having trouble breathing and was extremely pale, according to KTVZ. The woman also felt completely numb from the shoulders down.
Authorities deemed the incident a marijuana overdose and EMS medics treated the woman at the scene. She refused to go to the hospital for further treatment.
The woman's identity is not being released due to HIPAA laws, according to police.
Authorities were able to determine that the woman consumed at least three raspberry-looking marijuana gummy candies. The candies contained an undetermined amount of THC. The time frame in which the candies were consumed was not indicated in the report. It was not clear if any other intoxicants were used in conjunction with the marijuana-laced candy.
A 51-year-old friend of the woman was issued a citation for possession of less than an ounce of marijuana. Police confiscated the candy, which the woman claimed was purchased in a legal pot shop in Washington.
Both women reside in Washington and were unaware of the current Oregon laws regarding marijuana possession.
Patnode told KTVZ that the marijuana candy could be a potential public safety risk. "She ate three, and she was having the kind of reaction we commonly see for people who overdose on heroin."
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.