This Jan. 18, 2011, file photo shows the Honeywell Specialty Materials plant in Metropolis, Ill. (Steve Jahnke/The Southern Illinoisan via AP, File)
Photo: Steve Jahnke
Photo: Steve Jahnke

Atlanta man sentenced to prison for embezzling $1.1M from Honeywell

An Atlanta man will serve time in federal prison for embezzling $1.1 million from Honeywell while working in the company’s Roswell office, the U.S. Department of Justice said.

Errol Buggs, 44, worked at the company from January 2012 to June 2016. During that time, a Honeywell employee in Canada noticed three suspicious wire transfers sent to a vendor in Georgia; there were no invoices to support the transfer of funds, the Justice Department said.

READ | Longtime CDC employee reported for not reporting contractor payments

The company that received the wire transfers, Tredd LLC, was a shell company that Buggs set up, the Justice Department said. Buggs was listed as Tredd’s chief operating officer by the Georgia Secretary of State. Investigators discovered Buggs used a legitimate vendor’s address to make the transfers to Tredd go through.

Buggs was a senior finance analyst with Honeywell, which gave him authorizations to approve vouchers for wire transfers. He used the login credentials from a coworker and two former employees to submit the vouchers that resulted in the wire transfers to Tredd, the Justice Department said. By the time investigators discovered the scheme, Buggs had made 28 wire transfers amounting to $1,134,493.35, according to the Justice Department.

Buggs has been convicted of wire fraud. On Nov. 15, he was sentenced to two years in prison and three years of supervised release. He must also pay the amount of embezzled funds in restitution to Honeywell.

Like Gwinnett County News on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and Instagram

Stay up to the minute with breaking news on Channel 2 Action News This Morning

Uber Eats driver found guilty of killing customer Former Uber Eats driver Robert Bivines was found guilty of killing one of his customers outside a Buckhead condo in February. He was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole. The 36-year-old previously claimed he shot and killed 30-year-old Ryan Thornton out of self-defense. But prosecutors argued Bivines intentionally fired shots at the unarmed customer.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.