Sprig’s Fried Catfish
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dark beer
- 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into finger-size pieces
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a Dutch oven, add oil to a depth of at least 2 inches. Heat to 350 degrees.
- Make seasoned cornstarch: In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Cajun seasoning, oregano and pepper. Taste and add salt if needed. Pour into a pie plate.
- In a second pie plate, whisk together buttermilk and beer. Dip catfish fingers into buttermilk mixture, then into seasoned cornstarch. Shake off excess cornstarch and lower carefully into hot oil. Cook until fish is golden brown, about 4 minutes. Do not crowd Dutch oven. Drain and if needed, repeat until all catfish is cooked. Garnish with lemon wedges.
Nutritional informationPer serving:
Per serving: 263 calories (percent of calories from fat, 50), 20 grams protein, 12 grams carbohydrates, trace fiber, 14 grams total fat (3 grams saturated), 68 milligrams cholesterol, 233 milligrams sodium.
From the menu of . . . Sprig, 2860 Lavista Road, Decatur. 404-248-9700, sprigrestaurant.com.
Is there a recipe from a metro Atlanta restaurant you’d like to make at home? Tell us and we’ll try to get it. We’ll also test it and adapt it for the home kitchen. Because of volume, we can’t answer all inquiries. Send your request, your address and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “From the menu of” and the name of the restaurant in the subject line.
Read more stories like this by liking Atlanta Restaurant Scene on Facebook, following @ATLDiningNews on Twitter and @ajcdining on Instagram.