Double digits. Congrats.
The 145-year-old Concord Road Covered Bridge was struck again at 2:15 p.m. on Friday, said Cobb spokesman Ross Cavitt. It was fixed 45 minutes later, and the road wasn’t closed long.
The driver fled.
The driver struck the seven-foot-high metal protective beams, which look like giant yellow staples, that recently had to be replaced because SO MANY PEOPLE WERE RUNNING INTO THEM. It was becoming tough to repair the thing that’s made to be repaired after being rammed by motor vehicles.
The drivers who don’t drive away are charged between $400 and $600 in damage fees to put the bar back up.
The cost of the recent beam replacement was $3,000, and was almost entirely covered by the $2,984.19 insurance payout from Sept. 4 when it was hit by a dump truck, Cavitt said.
The last close call was with a senior center van in early October.
Taxpayers have already paid for multiple motion-activated warning signs on both sides of the bridge, and the county says it’s still assessing ways to keep the thing safe.
“We continue to work with companies that provide data to GPS services to put some sort of warning on maps, but that remains a work-in-progress,” the county previously said.