Local News

Fulton promises changes in wake of IT audit

Feb 6, 2015

Fulton County plans to seek an independent assessment of its Information Technology Department after an audit questioned the way it managed millions of dollars in contracts.

The assessment could lead to improvements in the oversight of contracts and determine whether the department should continue to outsource some work or hire employees to do it, according to documents obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Officials said they also plan to address other problems found in the audit, including possible violations of ethics and procurement policies.

“We realize we’ve got to have an overall IT assessment,” Interim Director Shin Kim said Friday. “We want to see an overall picture of where we are and what’s the best way to go in the future.”

Last fall, Fulton County’s internal auditors reviewed contracts awarded to Randstad Technology of Alpharetta and Consilium Consulting of Roswell. Randstad provides the county network engineering, telephone technical support and other services. Consilium provides software licensing and support, database administration, disaster recovery planning and other services.

The auditors released their report in December. Among other things, they found:

In written responses to the audit, Kim disagreed with some of its findings. For example, he said, the former business relationship between the assistant director and the contract employee had been disclosed and deemed to not be a conflict of interest. He said the assistant director no longer supervises his former business partner, and all supervisors are getting a refresher course on ethics.

The department also now requires contract employees to record their time. Among other things, it plans to seek an independent assessment of its operations in coming months and do a better job of documenting vendor performance.

Acting County Manager Patrick O’Connor said the IT Department monitored contractors’ work but didn’t document it properly. He said those concerns will be addressed.

“I want to emphasize that we’re moving forward,” O’Connor said. “We’re being positive.”

About the Author

David Wickert writes about the state budget, finance and voting issues. Previously, he covered local government and politics in Gwinnett and Fulton counties. Before moving to Atlanta, he worked at newspapers in Illinois, Tennessee, Virginia and Washington.

More Stories