Kennesaw State University student fatally shot on campus, suspect detained

Counseling available for students
Kennesaw State University was under a lockdown for roughly one hour on Saturday.

Credit: Jason Getz / AJC File

Credit: Jason Getz / AJC File

Kennesaw State University was under a lockdown for roughly one hour on Saturday.

Kennesaw State University is offering counseling resources after a student was fatally shot Saturday, briefly sending the campus into a lockdown Saturday.

“Please reach out,” KSU Student Affairs said in a social media post.

An “armed intruder” was reported on the Kennesaw campus shortly after 4 p.m., authorities stated. Less than an hour later, school officials gave the all-clear.

The lockdown came to an end after a woman was shot near the South Campus housing area, according to authorities. The victim was identified as a student, but her name was not released.

“There is no threat to the campus community,” college spokesperson Tammy DeMel said.

A suspect was detained, but officials have not said if that person was the armed intruder initially reported.

The GBI confirmed to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution that they were asked to respond to the campus but did not provide additional information.

The student is at least the second to be killed on a Georgia college campus this year. Nursing student Laken Riley was killed near the University of Georgia’s intramural fields in February. A 26-year-old man, Jose Antonio Ibarra, was recently indicted on charges including murder, aggravated battery, aggravated assault with intent to rape and kidnapping. Ibara is due to enter pleas to 10 counts during an arraignment hearing in Athens on May 31.

In late January, KSU campus was put under a two-hour lockdown after three people robbed their Uber driver’s vehicle and drove it toward campus, Cobb County police said. The stolen vehicle was found near a student housing building on Idlewood Avenue and a suspect was spotted running across I-75.

No shots were fired on campus, and no injuries were reported. Two men were arrested in connection with the incident.

“I was in my room leaving, that’s when I got the text and call (about an intruder on campus),” student Ryan Oldham told Channel 2 Action News at the time. “We put a table in front of the window just to make sure nothing could see us through there.”

— Please return to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution for updates.