Second man arrested on murder charge in December shooting in Decatur

Credit: DeKalb County Sheriff's Office

Credit: DeKalb County Sheriff's Office

A second man has been arrested on murder and armed robbery charges related to the fatal shooting of a 20-year-old man in Stone Mountain in December.

Roy Jackson, also 20 years old, was arrested Monday by the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office Fugitive Unit, according to spokeswoman Cynthia Williams. He is accused of directing 17-year-old Chevaz Barnes to shoot the victim, Siah Gray, before the two took money and other possessions from Gray’s pockets, Williams said.

Jackson was booked into the DeKalb jail Monday afternoon. Barnes was arrested May 7 on the same charges of murder and armed robbery, online jail records show. Both were being held without bond Tuesday, according to jail records.

Gray was a second-year student at Grambling State University and the youngest of three children, according to his sister, Ivy Gray, who wrote about the experience of losing her brother in her college newspaper.

Gray was shot and killed on Dec. 22 outside of a home on Wake Forest Road in Decatur, the DeKalb sheriff’s office said. According to a GoFundMe page set up in honor of Gray, he was leaving a friend’s house where they had been playing video games. The shooting took place less than 20 minutes from Gray’s family home, his sister said.

In a separate Barnes was arrested in February on charges related to the October armed robbery and shooting death of 20-year-old Donovan Durham, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. Barnes was released on $100,000 bond after less than a month in jail, according to online court records.

Barnes’ previous arrest came after another man, 20-year-old Bishop Wilson, surrendered on a murder charge in connection with Durham’s death, the AJC reported. Wilson remains in jail without bond, online records show.

According to the terms of Barnes’ bond order, he was required to wear an ankle monitor and remain under house arrest except for school, legal and medical appointments. Barnes was also forbidden from possessing any weapons.

— Please return to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution for updates.