All were sworn in Wednesday morning, several days after Chief Superior Court Judge Asha Jackson made their appointments official. The Thursday afternoon meeting where leaders were selected was the group’s first (virtual) gathering to conduct business.
As chair, Lowman Smith will take over the role most recently filled by Sam Tillman. Tillman was not reappointed after serving more than two decades on the board.
Motter called Lowman Smith an ethical and collaborative colleague and said she would represent “a generational shift” that’s needed to further modernize DeKalb’s elections operations.
NEW DEKALB COUNTY ELECTIONS BOARD
- Karli Swift (appointed by Chief Superior Court Judge Asha Jackson; replaces current board chair Sam Tillman)
- Susan Motter (reappointed by DeKalb Democrats)
- Dele Lowman Smith (reappointed by DeKalb Democrats; later chosen as chair)
- Nancy Jester (appointed by DeKalb GOP to replace longtime board member Baoky Vu; later chosen as vice chair)
- Anthony Lewis (reappointed by DeKalb GOP)