Teen’s death after ‘One Chip’ challenge highlights the dangers of viral food trends

Autopsy results are still pending, but coach, family are warning others about social media challenges

What is the "One Chip" challenge? .After a high school scholar died on Friday from the chip trend, many are wondering what is it? .The "One Chip" challenge startedin 2016. .It originated from a company called Paqui.The chip comes in a coffin box with a singular chip inside.It's said to be the hottest chip in the world. .Warning signs include seeking medical attention if you have difficulty breathing, fainting or nausea

A “rising star” sophomore at Doherty Memorial High School, in Worcester, Massachusetts, died on Friday, hours after participating in the “One Chip” challenge.

According to reports, Harris Wolobah, 14, is believed to have died from eating a Paqui chip. Wolobah became sick after shortly after eating the chip.

The spicy chip comes in a coffin-shaped container and is covered with Carolina Reaper and Scorpion peppers. The packages includes warnings, including:

  • Keep out of reach of children
  • Do not eat if you are sensitive to spicy foods, allergic to peppers, nightshades, capsaicin, pregnant, or have any medical conditions.
  • After touching the chip, wash your hands with soap, and do not touch your eyes or other sensitive areas.
  • Seek medical assistance should you experience difficulty breathing, fainting, or extended nausea.

Wolobah’s mother was called to the school on Friday by a nurse who told her a classmate had given him the chip, leaving him with a bad stomach ache. Once she picked him up, his mother said, her son started feeling better, but just a few hours later, he was found unconscious by his brother, reported Boston 10.

The One Chip Challenge has been a popular social media trend since 2016, and has been banned at many schools after students needed to be taken to the hospital after attempting it, reports TODAY.com.

“The Paqui one chip challenge is intended for adults only, with clear and prominent labeling highlighting the chip is not for children or anyone sensitive to spicy foods or who has food allergies, is pregnant or has underlying health conditions,” says the company in a statement on its website.

“We have seen an increase in teens and other individuals not heeding these warnings.  as a result, while the product continues to adhere to food safety standards, out of an abundance of caution, we are actively working with our retailers to remove the product from shelves.”

The company is offering refunds for any purchases of the chip and urges customers to call 1-866-528-6848.