According to Tech, that name change was the first for the facility since it was named Hugh Inman Grant Field in 1914 after a gift from John W. Grant, a member of the school’s Board of Trustees. The Grant family gave the initial $15,000 used in 1913 to build the first permanent concrete stands on the west side of the field. In gratitude for the gift, trustees named the field Hugh Inman Grant Field in memory of Grant’s deceased son.
Hugh Inman Grant died in 1906 at age 10. He is a grandson of Hugh T. Inman, who owned the second Kimball House and is a great-grandson of W.D. Grant, who built the historic Grant Building in Atlanta.