Here’s how to avoid becoming the prey of these savvy scammers:
• Don’t answer or return any calls from numbers you don’t recognize.
• Before calling unfamiliar numbers, check to see if the area code is international.
• If you do not make international calls, ask your phone company to block outgoing international
calls on your line.
• Always be cautious, even if a number appears authentic.
If you are billed as a result of this phone scam, start by attempting to resolve it with your cellphone provider. If you’re unable to resolve it that way, you can file a complaint with the FCC.
Filing a complaint:
• File a complaint online at consumercomplaints.fcc.gov
• By phone: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322); TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322); ASL: 1-844-432-2275
• By mail (please include your name, address, contact information and as much detail about your complaint as possible): Federal Communications Commission Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division 445 12th Street, S.W. Washington, DC 20554