» RELATED: 3 healthy coconut products to buy
After analyzing the results, they found that more than 50 percent of the powders had detectable levels of BPA and over 70 percent had detectable levels of metals, including lead and cadmium. While BPA is commonly found in plastic water bottles, lead comes from water pipes and cadmium is an active component in battery acid.
Furthermore, they discovered the organic powders on average had more than twice the amount of metals than the non-organic ones. And about 75 percent of the plant-based powders tested positive for lead.
“Contaminants are the result of sourcing and production practices. Contaminants can be found in soils because of pesticides and mining run-off (ex. heavy metals) and can be absorbed into plants just like nutrients,” they said. “They can also be the result of the manufacturing process.”
To combat the issue, the scientists are encouraging buyers to be conscious by scanning food item labels for potentially harmful ingredients. They also compiled a list of the best and worst protein powders based on their findings. Take a look below.
Top 5 protein powders
1. Puori, PW1 Vanilla Pure Whey Protein
2. BioChem, Vanilla 100% Whey Protein
3. BodyFortress, Super Advanced Vanilla 100% Whey Protein
4. Performix, Pro Whey + Sabor Vanilla Protein with Amino Beads
5. Pure Protein, Vanilla Cream 100% Whey
Bottom 5 powders
1. Vega, Sport Plant-Based Vanilla Performance Protein
2. 360Cut, Performance Supplements 360ORI WHEY Chocolate Silk Premium Whey Protein
3. Quest, Chocolate Milkshake Protein Powder
4. Nature’s Best, ISOPURE Creamy Vanilla Zero Carb
5. Garden of Life, Organic Shake & Meal Replacement Chocolate Cacao Raw Organic Meal
» RELATED: Don't be fooled by low-calorie looking drinks and smoothies