Powder Springs Mayor Al Thurman and the City Council have scheduled seven public meetings on the new budget - now through June - that is expected to include the first millage rate increase in at least 10 years.
With average annual increases of $58 to $88 to residents, the tax increase - from 8.5 to 9.5 mills - is needed to increase services, grow staff and enhance public amenities with the new downtown city park, according to the city’s Finance Director Diana Belanger.
Budget meetings will be:
- Town Hall: Presentation of Fiscal Year 2019 (FY19) Budget Draft. 7 p.m. March 13. Ron Anderson Center, 3820 Macedonia Road, Powder Springs. No actions will be taken by the mayor and Council during this informational meeting.
- Town Hall: Presentation of FY19 Budget. 7 p.m. May 10. American Legion Post 294, 3282 Florence Road, Powder Springs.
- Budget Open Houses. 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 22, May 24, May 31. Council Chambers, 4488 Pineview Drive, Powder Springs.
- Budget first reading by City Council. 7 p.m. May 21. Council Chambers, 4488 Pineview Drive, Powder Springs.
- Budget vote by City Council. 7 p.m. June 4. Council Chambers, 4488 Pineview Drive, Powder Springs.
FY19 Budget Draft: CityOfPowderSprings.org/DocumentCenter/View/4649.
About the Author
Credit: Family contributed photo