Another driver of a large truck learned the hard way on Monday that Cobb County’s historic covered bridge is not big enough for them to pass through.
A U-Haul truck crashed into a metal beam that was installed to protect the 145-year-old piece of history on Concord Road just south of East-West Connector.
According to its Facebook page, Cobb County said this latest iteration of the "U-Haul Driver Hall of Shame" occurred Monday afternoon when a truck hit the beam on the Mableton side of the bridge.
Cobb DOT officials responded to the scene to tend to the metal beams, and officers also cited the driver, the county added. Concord Road reopened 21 minutes after crash.
The March 18 collision is the second close call for the bridge in 2019, with the previous crash occurring Jan. 16.
Cobb County moved to save this rare piece of history when it installed metal beams as part of an $800,000 taxpayer-funded rehabilitation in December 2017. This is the 16th strike since then.
The county previously said on Facebook that the beams, which look like giant yellow staples, indicate the seven-foot height limit but have been “treated rudely over the past year.”
They were replaced in late October after being rammed by too many vehicles, which is notable because that is what they’re built to do.
Drivers are usually fined no more than $500.
The county has released a video about the bridge, and why the flashing warning signs are ignored drivers who are believe their vehicles can smoothly pass through the structure.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.