When the amendment was filed Friday, Nash, a Republican, said she would prefer to have as many options as possible. Democrats and other advocates also called foul, calling it an infringement upon local control and refuting suggestions that the results of the special election— for which 17 percent of registered voters turned out — represented a true mandate.
The controversial rider did not resurface after its initial removal from SB200.
Gwinnett Commissioner Ben Ku, a Democrat, said he was pleased that “the system worked.”
“The referendum delay amendment was unnecessary and could potentially cripple progress and economic development in Gwinnett,” Ku said.
State Rep. Dewey McClain, D-Lawrenceville, called the proposal’s ultimate failure a “real win for the citizens of Gwinnett.”
But Harrell, the Republican representative from Snellville, said he hoped that the county commission still “got the message to respect the will of the voters.”
Whether or not the posturing will convince Nash and the current commission to avoid MARTA in future transit plans is yet to be seen. But the involvement of the agency — and the heavy rail line it would’ve run into the Norcross area — were by far the most contentious aspects of last month’s referendum.
Nash has said nothing will be off the table as the commission regroups and plots its next transit-related steps.
And all bets may be off after 2020, regardless.
The county commission gained two Democrats in last November’s election and the remaining three seats — including Nash’s — will be up for reelection next year. There’s a good chance Democrats pick up at least one of them, giving them a majority on the five-member commission.
“We are pleased to have as many options as possible available as the Board considers how to move forward with transit,” Nash said Wednesday. “As indicated by comments from commissioners at our planning session last week, the Board sees this as a critical decision to focus on in the coming months.”