An experiment went wrong for a Duluth HIgh School teacher.
Photo: Channel 2 Action  News
Photo: Channel 2 Action  News

Halloween scare: Experiment sends fire around Gwinnett teacher’s face

A Halloween experiment at a Gwinnett County high school last week went wrong, sending fire around a teacher’s face, Channel 2 Action News reported.

“We were just like confused,” Duluth High School student Condaleeza Waters said. “We didn't know what to do.”

The experiment in Morgan Cook’s science class involved a ramp, a pumpkin and fire, the news station reported.

But something went wrong.

“When she lit it on fire, what happened is the whole entire ramp lit on fire, and the ramp just exploded,” student Eddie Kim said.

Paramedics responded to the school to offer aid, and a friend of Cook’s took her to the hospital. Bernard Watson, spokesman for Gwinnett County schools, said the teacher suffered “minor superficial injuries” and will be all right.

Cook briefly returned to the school Monday to do some paperwork, the school system said.

“She is doing well and it is anticipated she will return to class later this week,” spokeswoman Sloan Roach said.

Principal Eric Davidson sent a letter to parents that said in part, “This is a rare situation and we are committed to determining exactly how this occurred so it does not happen again.”

Some students are still trying to sort it out.

“I guess it's just kind of scary,” Mia VanTassell said, “knowing that happened at our school.”

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.