Man gets 4 years for Lake Lanier crash that killed Usher's stepson

Man sentenced to 4 years in jet ski death of Usher’s stepson

The man convicted of killing 11-year-old Kile Glover in a Lake Lanier crash was sentenced to four years in prison Wednesday.

Jeffrey Simon Hubbard was convicted last month of homicide by vessel for running over Kile in July 2012. Kile, the son of pop star Usher's former wife Tameka Foster and TV executive Ryan Glover, was on an inner tube with a friend when he was run over by Hubbard, who was on a personal watercraft.

On Feb. 20, Hubbard was also found guilty of serious injury by vessel, reckless operation, unlawful operation of personal watercraft and boat traffic violation in a Hall County courtroom.

Following his release from prison, Hubbard will spend 15 years on probation for operating the watercraft in what Hall County Superior Court Judge Bonnie Oliver described as a "foolish" manner.

"I'm disappointed that you have not accepted more responsibility for what occurred," said Oliver.

Hubbard's father said his son wanted to express an apology earlier, but was advised against doing so by his counsel.
"He's been remorseful from day one," Simon Hubbard told Channel 2 Action News. "It's been a nightmare for him for the past two years, and it's probably going to be indelibly etched in his mind for the rest of his life."

Kile was critically injured in the incident, which also left his teenage friend with serious injuries. Kile, who was wearing a life preserver, was unresponsive when he was pulled from the lake and never regained consciousness. He died about two weeks later from brain injuries.
Hubbard, a family friend, was arrested March 1, 2013, after being indicted by a grand jury. Defense lawyers said Hubbard tried to avoid the children and that what happened was a tragic accident.

The wreck involving Kile came just weeks after a June 18, 2012, boat wreck on Lake Lanier that killed two young brothers.

The Prince brothers, Jake, 9, and Griffin, 13, died when the pontoon boat they were on collided with another boat, driven by Paul Bennett. Bennett was acquitted of homicide charges in November, but was found guilty of boating under the influence, reckless operation of a vessel, and failure to render aid in the deadly crash.

Bennett, 45, of Cumming, was sentenced to 30 months in prison, followed by 18 months on probation and 400 hours of community service following his conviction.

About the Author

Editors' Picks