One evening last week Arianna Chang was spooning some dog food out of a can for her 5-month-old Siberian Husky named Zeus, but Zeus just couldn’t wait.
The puppy lunged for the dog food and swallowed it – spoon and all. “Down his throat. Goodbye,” said Chang. “It wasn’t even a small spoon!”
Zeus seemed unfazed, and finished his meal, but Chang, 27, said “I knew something that big, there was no way he could pass it out.”
The Dunwoody resident took Zeus to Blue Pearl Veterinary Partners in Sandy Springs, and after a few X-rays, Dr. Nicolas Berryessa determined that the spoon could be removed using an endoscope, which is much less complicated than surgery.
“The doctor told me, ‘Ma’am, don’t feel bad. You’re not the first one and you won’t be the last one,’” said Chang, who works in commodity trading.
Zeus is named after “the king of the gods,” Chang said, and the lesson learned here is, when it’s suppertime, don’t keep the king waiting.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.