Sleeping bag, hiking boots and a lantern? Yup, all there.
These must-have items rarely get left behind as you're getting ready to head out on a camping trip. But there are a few smaller essentials that you may not think to bring.
Don't forget these camping must-haves as you're loading up your pack.
- Bug spray and citronella candles for your site
- Travel first-aid kit with plenty of adhesive bandages, calamine lotion and pain relievers such as aspirin, acetaminophen or ibuprofen
- Any prescription medication you may be taking
- Sun protection – think hats, sunglasses and broad-spectrum sunscreen
- Lip balm with added UV protection
- Baby wipes/wet wipes
- Hand sanitizer
- Books, magazines, a notebook/journal, pens, playing cards and games
- Small mirror or compact
- Tweezers – these are especially handy if you end up stuck with a splinter, brier or stinger
- Toiletries for camping – dry shampoo or shampoo and conditioner, hairbrush, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, bar of soap, razor, loofah or washcloths, cotton balls and swabs, feminine hygiene products
- Hair ties and bobby pins
- Travel sewing kit with safety pins
- Clothespins and string or rope to use as a clothesline
- Toilet paper
- Extra socks
- Extra towels
- Pocket raincoat
- Extra batteries
- Matches and a lighter
- Resealable sandwich bags
And if you're looking for a place to pitch your tent, give some of these spots a try.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.