» Don't let your pet become another 4th of July runaway
Doctors say it takes at least 30 seconds for it to evaporate, but the alcohol remains on hands.
"It can be a third degree burn because alcohol is potent and flammable," Dr. Dhaval Bhavsar, medical director of the University of Kansas Medical System's Burnett Burn Center, told news outlet <u>KSHB</u>.
Vogel and Bhavsar recommend washing your hands with soap and water before lighting fireworks.
» Safety tips for at-home fireworks shows this Fourth of July
» Are fireworks happening for the Fourth of July in metro Atlanta this year?
Another option is to use a punk stick to light your explosives.
Punk sticks — made of bamboo and coated with compressed sawdust — resemble sticks of incense. They are long and burn slowly, with no open flame, making them safer around children. Because of their length, the user can maintain a safer distance from the explosive they’re trying to ignite.
Punk sticks can be used to light sparklers for the children, or to light any fireworks that have a fuse.