WEATHER-TRAFFIC: Perimeter stays slow as overcast, dry skies remain over Atlanta

Here's Severe Weather Team 2's chief meteorologist Glenn Burns with a look at your Tuesday evening forecast.

The evening commute has remained dry, albeit overcast.

However, areas of Henry and Rockdale counties are still seeing spotty rain, which is slightly slowing down travel, according to the WSB 24-hour Traffic Center.

Wrecks are affecting traffic much more significantly, especially on the Perimeter.

A stalled tractor-trailer was moved to the right shoulder of the outer loop before South Cobb Drive, but it had been blocking multiple lanes, the Traffic Center reported. Delays remain all the way to Ga. 400.

I-75 South is also slow after multiple lanes were blocked by a crash at Moores Mill Road, according to the Traffic Center. That crash has also been cleared, but delays remain.

With a 40% chance of afternoon rain, areas from Eatonton to Griffin have been the coolest Tuesday with highs in the low 70s, Channel 2 Action News meteorologist Brad Nitz said. However, Atlanta hasn’t been too much warmer, hitting 70 degrees before settling in the upper 60s.

More rain is in the forecast for Wednesday, which also carries a 40% chance, and Thursday has a 60% chance. Thunderstorms are possible both days, according to Channel 2.

“We'll have more rain in the heart of metro Atlanta and east toward Athens ... so plan for some wet roads and a slower morning commute (Wednesday),” Nitz said.

A cold front is expected to move in overnight Wednesday and spread showers our way Thursday morning, he said. While it is still early to forecast, Channel 2 meteorologist Brian Monahan said the current timeline has the front bringing the heaviest rain through metro Atlanta during prime trick-or-treating hours.

There is also a chance for some strong storms when the wave of downpours moves through around 6 p.m., he said.

The rain may be a disappointment to costumed youngsters, but it is needed. Drought conditions have been improving in Georgia in recent weeks as the weather has turned increasingly wet.

“About a month ago, we got tipped off by Georgia forestry that they thought this fire season had the potential, if something were to get going, to be at least as bad as what we saw back in 2016,” Monahan said. “Fortunately, none of that has happened yet.”

North Georgia has not seen any fires, and rain continues to help the situation.

“Fingers crossed that continues to be the case,” he said.

Once the cold front moves through, temperatures will again drop as North Georgia dries out. Friday morning will see lows in the 30s and 40s and afternoon highs in the low 60s, according to Channel 2.

“The coldest air of the season is moving on in,” Monahan said. “By Saturday morning, by Sunday morning, we're going to have our first 30s for low temperatures in metro Atlanta.”

Daylight saving time ends at 2 a.m. Sunday.

RELATED: Daylight saving time: 5 things to know

ajc.com

icon to expand image

» For a detailed forecast, visit The Atlanta Journal-Constitution weather page.

» For updated traffic information, listen to News 95.5 and AM 750 WSB and follow @ajcwsbtraffic on Twitter. 

» Download The Atlanta Journal-Constitution app for weather alerts on-the-go.