J. Alexander’s Fire Roasted Artichokes
- 4 large artichokes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, divided
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. It must be deep enough that the artichokes are submerged while they’re cooking.
- Trim the artichoke stems down to 1 inch and remove any outer leaves that are loose. Cut the top inch or so off the artichoke leaves, then cut it in half lengthwise and use a spoon to remove the center (purple leaves). Put the prepared artichokes in the boiling water and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Remove from water, drain and allow to cool.
- While artichokes are cooling, make herb butter: In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, garlic, tarragon, parsley, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat just enough to melt the butter and warm the garlic and herbs. Remove from heat.
- When ready to serve, heat grill to very hot.
- Baste artichoke halves with herb butter and arrange on grill. Grill 2 minutes per side or until artichokes are charred and hot. Remove from grill, brush with the herb butter and season with salt and pepper. Serves: 4.
Nutritional informationPer serving:
Per serving: 267 calories (percent of calories from fat, 73), 5 grams protein, 14 grams carbohydrates, 7 grams fiber, 23 grams total fat (14 grams saturated), 61 milligrams cholesterol, 160 milligrams sodium.
From the menu of... J. Alexander’s, 4701 Ashford Dunwoody Road, Atlanta. 770-512-0153, jalexanders.com.
Is there a recipe from a metro Atlanta restaurant you’d like to make at home? Tell us and we’ll try to get it. We’ll also test it and adapt it for the home kitchen. Because of volume, we can’t answer all inquiries. Send your request, your address and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “From the menu of” and the name of the restaurant in the subject line.
Read more stories like this by liking Atlanta Restaurant Scene on Facebook, following @ATLDiningNews on Twitter and @ajcdining on Instagram.