Among the new teams in the rankings were Sun Belt powerhouses Louisiana-Lafayette at No. 19 and Appalachian State at No. 24. The Ragin' Cajuns pulled off maybe the biggest upset of the weekend, winning at Iowa State 31-14 on Saturday. The Cyclones had been ranked No. 23 and are the one team currently scheduled to play to fall out of the rankings after being in the preseason Top 25.
Louisiana-Lafayette was last ranked in 1943.
Georgia Tech, which logged a surprising 16-13 win over Florida State in Tallahassee, Fla., received votes.
The rest of the newcomers to the Top 25:
- No. 16 Memphis has the highest ranking of those teams entering the poll. Not surprising. The Tigers were first among the others receiving votes in the preseason poll and opened the season by beating Arkansas State last week. That same Arkansas State then turned around and upset Kansas State on the road Saturday.
- No. 17 Miami also garnered some support in the preseason. The Hurricanes join on the strength of a 31-14 victory Thursday against Conference USA contender UAB.
- No. 18 Louisville beat Western Kentucky 35-21 to open its season and is ranked for the first time since 2017.
- No. 20 Virginia Tech has already had two games postponed. The Hokies were supposed to open their season Saturday against North Carolina State, but the Wolfpack’s preparation for the season was delayed by a COVID-19 outbreak. Now Virginia Tech is dealing with coronavirus issues of its own and its game next week against Virginia has been postponed.
- No. 21 BYU opened the season on Labor Day, beating Navy 55-3. But the Cougars' next game has been postponed because of positive COVID-19 cases among the players.
- No. 22 Army has opened the season with two victories by a combined score of 79-7.
- No. 23 Kentucky is scheduled to start the season Sept. 26, with the rest of the Southeastern Conference.
- No. 25 Pitt opened the season by beating Austin Peay 55-0 in a game that was shortened in the second half. With the Panthers up 42-0 halftime, the teams agreed to play 10-minute quarters in the second half.