Cornerback Mike Hughes, a former first-round pick (30th overall) of the Vikings in 2018, signed a two-year contract with the Falcons on Monday.
Hughes, 26, played last season with the Lions, starting six games and playing in 16. He also played with the Vikings (2018-2020) and the Chiefs (2021).
The Falcons lost cornerbacks Isaiah Oliver and Mike Ford in free agency. Oliver signed with the 49ers, and Ford, a valuable special-teamer, signed with the Browns.
Hughes will get a shot at replacing Oliver at nickel back.
“I’ve been told that they like me in the slot,” Hughes said. “Everywhere that I’ve been, playing in the slot, things happen during that long 17-week season. So, I see myself playing outside some, too. But wherever they feel is best for me, I’m willing to do it. Whatever I need to do to help the team. That’s what I’ll do.”
Hughes has played some slot over his NFL career.
“The last few years I feel like I’ve gotten a (fair) amount of snaps playing slot,” Hughes said. “Prior to getting into the league, I (hadn’t) played any (slot) at all. But with the experience that I have now, I’m pretty comfortable playing that role. I have had a fair amount of snaps in there.”
In addition to signing Hughes, the Falcons also re-signed cornerback Cornell Armstrong, who finished last season as the starting right cornerback.
Hughes is 5-foot-10 and weighs 195 pounds. He played in college at North Carolina and Central Florida.
Free-agency tracker: Here’s an easy way to keep track of the Falcons’ moves since the start of the league’s new business year:
– RG Chris Lindstrom, five years, $105 million
– RT Kaleb McGary, three years, $34.5 million
– TE Jonnu Smith from Patriots for seventh-round draft pick
NEW FREE AGENTS
– S Jessie Bates III, four years, $64 million
– DT David Onyemata, four years, $35 million ($24.5 million guaranteed, $12 million signing bonus)
– LB Kaden Elliss, three years, $21.5 million ($11 million guaranteed)
– QB Taylor Heinicke, two years, up to $20 million
– LB Tae Davis
– WR Mack Hollins, one year, up to $2.5 million
– CB Mike Hughes, two years
– P Bradley Pinion re-signed, three years, $8.65 million
– FB Keith Smith re-signed, one year, $2.35 million ($625,000 guaranteed)
– OLB Lorenzo Carter, two years, $9 million
– LS Liam McCullough, one year, $705,000
– TE Parker Hesse, one year, $940,000
– CB Cornell Armstrong
For more content about the Atlanta Falcons
On Twitter at DorlandoAJC
On Facebook at Atlanta Falcons News Now
On Instagram at DorlandoLed
Atlanta Falcons coverage on The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
The Bow Tie Chronicles
About the Author