UPDATE: Search continues for man accused of fatally shooting Gwinnett officer

UPDATE 6:55 a.m. Monday: Officers detained three people for questioning Sunday after a SWAT team searched a house across the street from the deadly shooting, Channel 2 Action News reported.

UPDATE 11:30 p.m.:  With the shooting suspect still at large, anyone with information to share in the case is asked to call the tip line at 770-513-5710. To remain anonymous, tipsters should contact Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477 or visit the Crime Stoppers website. Tipsters can receive up to $5,000 for information leading to Maynard's arrest and indictment in this case.

UPDATE 7:25 p.m.: Police said the shooting suspect, Tafahree Maynard, was not in the Gwinnett County house being searched.

UPDATE 6:50 p.m. Sunday: Law enforcement officials say they are planning to conduct a search of a house on Crumps  Landing in the area where the deadly shooting occurred. A SWAT team was also stationed at the location. No other details were provided.


Flags at the Gwinnett County Police Department were at half-staff Sunday morning as a manhunt continued for a suspect accused of shooting and killing a police officer Saturday.

Tafahree Maynard, 18, of Snellville, remained at large Sunday morning. Police believe he fired the shot that killed officer Antwan Toney, who had been on the force for almost three years.

Another suspect, Isaiah Pretlow, 19, of Snellville, was arrested late Saturday night by U.S. marshals and charged with aggravated assault. He was booked at the Gwinnett County Sheriff’s Office shortly before 6:30 a.m. Sunday, and is being held without bond, according to jail records.

Anyone who encounters Maynard should call 911, police said, and anyone with information on his location should call 770-513-5710.

Police believe Maynard and Pretlow were together when Toney was called to investigate a “suspicious vehicle” Saturday afternoon near Shiloh Middle School in unincorporated Snellville.

Toney was shot while approaching the car, officials said.

The officer was “very jovial, very dedicated to his job and to serving his community,” Gwinnett Police Chief Butch Ayers said. He was just days away from his three-year anniversary as a police officer with the force.

He was the first Gwinnett officer killed in the line of duty since 1993, Ayers said. Toney is from Southern California, where his immediate family still lives.

Friends remembered Toney as someone with “a lot of heart,” Channel 2 Action News reported.

"He was practically like a brother," friend Reginald Pierre said.


Friends remembered Antwan Toney as a guy with a lot of heart.