But the county thought ahead: “Lane closures will not be allowed during the 2017 holiday shopping season.”
Construction won’t affect the CobbLinc Transfer Station.
Here’s the skinny on what crews will do:
- Widen Cumberland Boulevard from two to three westbound lanes between Akers Mill and Stillhouse roads. That means drivers will be able to turn right from Akers Mill Road southbound to Cumberland Boulevard westbound.
- Big-time traffic and pedestrian safety improvements at Cumberland Boulevard and Cumberland Parkway along with the mall entrances on Cumberland Boulevard.
- Restrip the Cumberland Boulevard and I-285 bridge overpass to reduce lane width from 12 feet to 11 feet for a 6-foot sidewalk construction along the northern side of the bridge. ("A two-month lane closure may be required for sidewalk construction on the bridge overpass.")
- Restrip and install new signs west of the I-285 bridge along Cumberland Boulevard, making it easier to figure out left-turns on Spring and Spring Hill roads.
- Landscape the roadways along with add more lighting and seating for pedestrians.