Have entrepreneurial dreams? You may want to consider setting up shop in Alpharetta, Georgia, according to a recent study.
The city was ranked No. 1 in NerdWallet and Entrepreneur's "Top Small Cities to Start a Business." The study examines 463 U.S. cities with populations of 50,000-100,000, comparing them across two criteria: business climate and local economic health.
Top 10 small cities to start a business
2. Redmond, Washington
3. Wilmington, Delaware
4. Troy, Michigan
5. Minnetonka, Minnesota
6. Waukesha, Wisconsin
7. Newport Beach, California
8. Bethesda, Maryland
9. Greenville, South Carolina
10. La Crosse, Wisconsin
Other key findings from the study include:
• Fast-growing industries such as technology and finance thrive in smaller metropolitan areas.
• Small cities near major cities have the advantage of access to nearby resources, while retaining the ability to operate within a small community.
• Strong local ecomomies with relatively low unemployment rates and above-average median incomes make for a stable business environment.
Alpharetta was recently named the best place to start a business in Georgia by NerdWallet.
Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.
Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.