Q&A on the News

Q: Now that the Social Security Administration no longer sends out the yearly Social Security statement, how can we obtain the information the statement contained?

—Bill Hileman, Locust Grove

A: You can either go to ssa.gov/mystatement/ or call 1-800-772-1213. If you use the website, it will take you to the Social Security retirement estimator page, which will require you to fill out an online form – including your Social Security number. You can use the retirement estimator if you have enough Social Security credits to qualify for benefits and you are not:

• Receiving benefits on your own Social Security record;

• Waiting for a decision about your application for benefits or Medicare;

• Age 62 or older and receiving benefits on another Social Security record; or

• Eligible for a pension based on work not covered by Social Security.

Q: What is the “do-not-call” number? And how long do you stay on the list once you register?

—Martha Boen, Alpharetta

A: Up to three numbers – landline and cell – can be registered on the National Do Not Call Registry by going online at donotcall.gov or by calling 1-888-382-1222. Numbers placed on the registry are permanent and will not expire, due to the Do-Not-Call Improvement Act of 2007, which became law in February 2008. "Once you register your phone number, telemarketers covered by the National Do Not Call Registry have up to 31 days from the date you register to stop calling you," according to the Federal Trade Commission.

Andy Johnston wrote this column. Do you have a question about the news? We’ll try to get the answer. Call 404-222-2002 or email q&a@ajc.com (include name, phone and city).