Overnight fire destroys massive log cabin in Hall County

A huge overnight blaze that destroyed a 7,000-square-foot log “cabin” in Hall County apparently started in a fireplace, authorities said Saturday.

The fire broke out just before midnight in the two-story log home at the end of Sweetbottom Lane in the Clermont community, Hall County fire spokesman Scott Cagle said.

Cagle said there had been a fire in a fireplace before the household went to bed, and the family’s son later noticed smoke and awakened his parents.

“After the family evacuated, they saw flames coming from around the chimney and already in the roof of the living room area,” Cagle told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Firefighters from White County were called into assist Hall fire crews, Cagle said.

He said the home, which was valued at $800,000, was a total loss.

No injuries were reported.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.