Coweta man dies after being tasered by deputies

The GBI is investigating the death of a 32-year-old man who died after being tasered by a Coweta County Sheriff’s deputy.

According to a GBI press release, the mother of Chase Alan Sherman called 911 shortly after 9 p.m. Friday, indicating that Sherman was suffering from a psychotic break. She told authorities that she believed her son ingested a drug known as “spice.” When deputies arrived, they reportedly struggled with Sherman while attempting to subdue him.

According to the press release, “throughout the struggle, one of the deputies deployed a taser in an attempt to control Sherman.”

Sherman allegedly continued to resist the deputies and medical personnel. At some point, however, he stopped fighting and went into medical distress, according to the GBI. Deputies and EMS performed CPR.

Sherman was transported to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy will be performed at the GBI Medical Examiner’s Office in Decatur.

The GBI is also conducting an investigation into the deputies’ use of force. The findings will then be turned over to the Coweta County District Attorney’s Office for any action they deem appropriate.

“Spice” is street slang for a type of synthetic marijuana, also sometimes known as K2. And Sherman’s is not the only Georgia death that has been linked to the drug. In 2012, “spice” was blamed in the death of a 16-year-old Fayette County resident, Chase Burnett, who ingested it before drowning in a hot tub.

Chase’s Law, legislation in Burnett’s name that Gov. Nathan Deal signed into law in April, briefly prohibited the sale of synthetic pot, but distributors have since found a way around the legislation.

*Staff reports contributed to this article.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.