This story has been updated. An earlier version of this story incorrectly attributed statements from the FBI to the Alpharetta Department of Public Safety.
The top 10 safest cities in Georgia
1. Summerville (Chattooga County)
2. Johns Creek (Fulton County)
3. Grovetown (Columbia County)
4. Milton (Fulton County)
5. Flowery Branch (Hall County)
6. Peachtree City (Fayette County)
7. Tyrone (Fayette County)
8. Folkston (Charlton County)
9. Braselton (Barrow, Gwinnett, Hall and Jackson counties)
10. Auburn (Barrow and Gwinnett counties)
Think you live in one of Georgia's safest cities? This new analysis of crime data may surprise you.
A ranking by SafeWise used FBI data from crimes reported in 2014 to calculate this year's 100 safest cities in Georgia.
The study evaluated violent crimes, such as aggravated assault and rape, and property crimes, such as burglary and arson, to calculate "the likelihood of these crimes occurring out of 1,000 people in each city," according to the report.
Cities with fewer than 4,000 residents are not included in the study.
Atlanta ranked no. 92 on the list.
The top 5 safest cities in north Fulton County
1. Johns Creek (second overall)
2. Milton (fourth overall)
3. Roswell (17th overall)
4. Alpharetta (19th overall)
5. Sandy Springs (27th overall)
In a statement, the Alpharetta Department of Public Safety echoed the FBI's 2010 caution about rankings such as the SafeWise analysis, which the FBI said "are merely a quick choice made by the data user; they provide no insight into the many variables that mold the crime in a particular (region)."
The rankings can "lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting cities and counties, along with their residents," the FBI argued.
About the Author