A fire in Douglas County left two people dead on Sunday. (Credit: Georgia Department of Insurance)

Accidental attic fire leaves Douglas County couple dead

An early morning house fire was ruled accidental, but a husband and wife are dead, officials said. 

Boyd Weese, 80, and his wife, Evelyn Weese, 79, died in their Douglas County home, spokesman for the Office of Commissioner Insurance Glenn Allen said.

The home located at 64485 Ansley Blvd. in Lithia Springs was destroyed.

“My fire investigator determined that the blaze started in the attic of the home,” Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens said. “We believe the fire was the result of an electrical malfunction.” 

RELATED: Boy burned in fire started by discarded cigarette dies day after mother

Investigators found no signs of a working smoke alarm found inside the home, Allen said.

In July, a 6-year-old boy and his mother died after a cigarette started a fire in a trash can, Hudgens said.

The Weese deaths bring the total number of Georgians who have died as a result of a fire this year to 77, according to the state office. 

Know what’s really going on with crime and public safety in your metro Atlanta community, including breaking news, trial coverage, trends and the latest on unsolved cases. Sign up for the AJC’s crime and safety newsletter delivered weekly to your inbox.

In other news:

Ricky Williams Arrested For Traffic Violations

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.