Mother paralyzed after developing staph infection from makeup brush

Never did a mother from Australia think that using her friend’s makeup brush to cover up a pimple would leave her fighting for her life.

The Daily Mail Australia reports that Jo Gilchrist, 27, began experiencing pain on Valentine’s Day. Gilchrist described the pain as “worse than childbirth.”

Doctors finally diagnosed Gilchrist with MRSA, which is an antibiotic-resistant form of a staph infection.

>> Read more trending stories

The infection damaged her spine, leaving her paralyzed below her belly button. While doctors initially said she’d never be able to walk again, Gilchrist is undergoing intense physical therapy and now may eventually be able to walk for short periods of time. She will still be confined to a wheelchair most of the time.

Gilchrist remains hospitalized as she continues to undergo powerful antibiotic treatment to eliminate the infection from her body. Her two-year-old son is being cared for by family while she recovers.

While Gilchrist’s case is rare, health officials warn that personal grooming items can spread MRSA. Symptoms can include red, swollen skin that is painful and warm to the touch, along with fever. Anyone who suspects a MRSA infection should seek immediate medical treatment, as the condition can be life-threatening.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

X