Broken cable caused accident at metro restaurant known for ‘Vampire Diaries’

Multiple people were injured after an air duct system fell through the ceiling of the Mystic Grill restaurant, known for being featured on the television series "The Vampire Diaries." The restaurant reopened Tuesday.

Credit: Channel 2 Action News

Combined ShapeCaption
Multiple people were injured after an air duct system fell through the ceiling of the Mystic Grill restaurant, known for being featured on the television series "The Vampire Diaries." The restaurant reopened Tuesday.

Credit: Channel 2 Action News

A Covington restaurant known for being featured on the television series “The Vampire Diaries” reopened Tuesday after its air conditioning duct system crashed through the ceiling, injuring multiple patrons.

Covington firefighters were called to the restaurant at 1116 Clark Street around 6:30 p.m. Monday and found four people who had been injured by the falling ductwork, the department said. One person sustained serious injuries and was taken to a hospital. The other three had only minor injuries and declined emergency medical care.

By Wednesday, it had been determined that the aircraft cable suspending the ductwork from the ceiling broke, causing it to fall, according to the fire department. No structural damage was found.

“We are saddened by the incident at Mystic Grill last evening and hope everyone affected is doing well,” the restaurant posted to its Facebook page Tuesday. “The City of Covington fire and building inspectors have inspected the building and cleared us to reopen.”

Video from inside the restaurant that was shared with Channel 2 Action News showed parts of the duct system that fell onto multiple chairs and tables as diners enjoyed their food.

The restaurant’s air conditioning was working Tuesday, the news station reported.