Family of 6 displaced after Dacula house fire; 1 treated for smoke inhalation

Credit: Gwinnett Fire and Emergency Services

Credit: Gwinnett Fire and Emergency Services

A family of six was displaced after a fire broke out on their Dacula home’s front porch, according to Gwinnett County officials.

A neighbor called 911 around 8:15 p.m. to report the fire at the two-story home in the 100 block of River Pass Court, the fire department said in a statement. When crews arrived, the front porch was engulfed in flames. They quickly began work to extinguish the flames, and the fire was brought under control within about 20 minutes. It had spread to an area above the garage and in parts of the attic.

Three of the six family members were home at the time, according to the statement. One was taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation and was described as stable. No other injuries were reported.

Credit: Gwinnett Fire and Emergency Services

Credit: Gwinnett Fire and Emergency Services

One of the occupants told firefighters a neighbor alerted them to the fire. The home was equipped with working alarms, the fire department said, but they did not go off due to the initial location of the fire. An attempt to put it out with a garden hose was unsuccessful.

In addition to fire damage to the porch and attic, the home sustained moderate smoke and water damage throughout. Investigators believe the blaze was accidentally started by a leaf blower that was plugged into an extension cord in the corner of the front porch next to the garage.

The American Red Cross is providing temporary assistance to the five adults and one child.