Woman who saved mother from MARTA train returns home to family 

After five surgeries and more than five weeks in the hospital, a woman who was hit by a MARTA train when she jumped on the tracks to save her mother is out of the hospital, Channel 2 Action News reported.

Katie Wenszell, 28, who is now back home in Milwaukee, nearly died when she pushed her mother, Sue Wenszell, out of the way of an oncoming train at the Midtown station on Aug. 19.

Katie Wenszell told the news station she didn’t hesitate at all when she saw her mother in danger.

“I could never live without my mother,” she said. “When I woke up in the ICU five days after the accident, my first thing was, ‘Is my mom OK?’ I didn’t even really care about myself being in the hospital.”

MORE: Father praises heroic daughter who jumped on MARTA tracks to save his wife's life

Sue (left) and Katie Wenszell (Credit: Channel 2 Action News)

Given that she spent five days in a medically-induced coma, Katie Wenszell doesn’t remember much about the incident, Channel 2 reported.

“I remember mom getting pushed onto the tracks and me jumping,” she said. “That’s literally all I remember.”

Christopher Patrick Brooklin (Credit: Fulton County Sheriff's Office)

According to police, Christopher Patrick Brooklin, 28, pushed Sue Wenszell onto the tracks, and he remains in the Fulton County Jail without bond on aggravated assault and battery charges.

Brooklin also faces a simple battery charge for allegedly hitting another woman at the Midtown station earlier that day.

RELATED: Man jailed after woman was pushed onto MARTA tracks allegedly hit different woman earlier

Sue Wenszell sustained a concussion and broken bones in her elbow and wrist, but Katie Wenszell’s injuries were more severe.

She had to undergo five surgeries, including a partial leg amputation and facial reconstruction, according to Channel 2. 

Katie Wenszell was transferred from Grady Memorial Hospital to Community Memorial Hospital in Menomonee Falls, Wis., before she was released.

Katie Wenszell, 28, was flown from Grady Memorial Hospital to a Wisconsin hospital in early September. She is out of the hospital and back home. (Credit: Paratech Ambulance Service)

In photos provided to Channel 2 on Thursday, she’s seen in a wheelchair and wearing a sling, surrounded by family and other loved ones.

RELATED: Woman who saved mother from MARTA train released from Atlanta hospital

“Overall, I would say I’m doing a lot better than I have been,” she said. “I am still a fighter as you can see with all the injuries I have had. I’m still making strides and eventually (will) live a normal life again.”

GoFundMe page to pay for her medical bills has surpassed its $5,000 fundraising goal. As of Thursday night, donors had contributed more than $104,000.

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.