Cops: Woman arrested after 1-year-old found unconscious at unlicensed Cobb day care

Pamela Kinsey Helmly

Credit: Cobb County Sheriff's Office

Credit: Cobb County Sheriff's Office

Pamela Kinsey Helmly

A home day care in Marietta has been forced to shut its doors after investigators discovered it had been operating without a license for 19 years, Channel 2 Action News reported.

The investigation began in August after a 1-year-old boy was found unconscious with a scarf around his neck while under the care of Pamela Kinsey Helmly, 54, of Marietta, Channel 2 reported.

Helmly, who operated the day care out of her home off Pebble Hill Drive, allegedly admitted to Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning (DECAL) investigators that she knew the business was unlicensed, the news station reported.

According to an arrest warrant, Helmly had eight children under her care when the boy “lost consciousness due to a scarf wrapped around his neck.” DECAL did not release more information about the incident.

An update on the child’s condition was not provided.

Pamela Kinsey Helmly ran the day care out of her Marietta home.

Credit: Channel 2 Action News

icon to expand image

Credit: Channel 2 Action News

DECAL deputy commissioner Pam Stevens told Channel 2 that investigators issued a cease and desist order, meaning the business will remain closed until officials deem it safe.

“That means we feel like children are in danger at this moment, and for the time being, you can no longer take care of children,” she said.

Since it’s an ongoing investigation, Stevens would not comment directly about the incident or investigation.

In Georgia, there are two different types of child care programs that require licenses, according to DECAL's website. Family Child Learning Home programs operate out of a residential home and provide care for three to six children, while Child Care Learning Centers programs take care of more than seven children at a time.

Helmly turned herself in last Tuesday on a misdemeanor count of violating regulations of early care and education programs. She was released later that day on a $1,320 bond, Cobb jail records show.

She told Channel 2 she had no comment about the incident.

In other news: