Rebecca Kenyon and Roger Mendoza both wear masks while making their way home on the Atlanta Beltline trail following a food run on March 29, 2020.
Photo: CURTIS COMPTON / ccompton@ajc.com
Photo: CURTIS COMPTON / ccompton@ajc.com

Atlanta mayor issues new hourly guidelines for Beltline usage

In the latest effort to limit the number of people on the Beltline during the coronavirus pandemic, Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms issued new hourly guidelines for those using the popular walking path.

On Tuesday, the usage guidelines were announced and immediately went into effect, according to an Atlanta Beltline press release.

Between 6 and 10 a.m., the Eastside Trail will have prioritized access for older adults, people with disabilities and those with compromised health conditions, the release said. This is because volume on the trail is usually lightest during those times.

MORE: Beltline urges recreational visitors to stay away to prevent crowds

From 10 a.m. until 2 p.m., the Beltline will be reserved for those using the trail for exercise or transportation, officials said. After 2 p.m., the trail should only be used for work and emergency-related travel.

Visitors are still required to stay at least six feet away from others, but it’s unclear how the city plans to enforce the new guidelines.

RELATED: When stubborn individualism clashes with a stubborner virus


 

This announcement comes the day after the Beltline extended its cancellation of all of events and programs through April 30, AJC.com previously reported.

RELATED: Atlanta Beltline suspends meetings, activities

The Beltline is one of the few trails to remain open in Atlanta during the statewide shelter in place order since it’s a primary means of transportation for many in the city. However, some members of Bottoms’ administration have shown an apparent desire to have the walking path closed to avoid further spread of COVID-19.

MORE: Emails show high-ranking Fulton health officials want BeltLine closed

Many parks and trails across the state were closed by local officials in attempts to promote social distancing. 

Several cities and counties have kept them closed, despite Gov. Brian Kemp’s statewide shelter in place order overriding all local states of emergencies. The statewide order does not shut down parks and has led to some jurisdictions reopening parks, trails and beaches.

ALSO: Kemp allies defend reopening Georgia beaches despite coastal criticism

In other news:

Support real journalism. Support local journalism. Subscribe to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See offers.

Your subscription to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism.

Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.
AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.

Download the new AJC app. More local news, more breaking news and in-depth journalism.
AJC.com. Atlanta. News. Now.

With the largest team in the state, the AJC reports what’s really going on with your tax dollars and your elected officials. Subscribe today. Visit the AJC's Georgia Navigator for the latest in Georgia politics.

Your subscription to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds in-depth reporting and investigations that keep you informed. Thank you for supporting real journalism. Visit the AJC's Georgia Navigator for the latest in Georgia politics.