If you need a topper for your chocolate pudding, use one of my favorite healthy cooking hacks. Cut up two bananas into 1-inch pieces, place them on a plate, and freeze them for an hour. Scrape the frozen pieces into a blender, add 2 tablespoons of non-dairy milk, and blend until the bananas turn into a chilled whipped treat. Spoon over the pudding and serve immediately, before the topping and your restraint melt. It’s a guilt-free indulgence that shows real love for your valentine, and yourself. And yes, we can offer it to Simon LeBon, too.
- 2 ounces dark chocolate chips (about 1/3 cup)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 to 12 ounces ripe Hass avocado, peeled and pitted (2 small to medium avocados)
- Fresh raspberries (optional)
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted, about 1 minute total.
- Pour the almond milk into a high-powered blender. Add the melted chocolate, cocoa powder, brown sugar, almond butter, vanilla, salt and avocados and process until smooth and no chunks of avocado remain, about 2 minutes.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide among 10 small cups. Top each with fresh raspberries, if desired. Serves 10.
Nutritional informationPer serving:
Per serving: 142 calories, 2 grams protein, 14 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams fiber, 2 grams saturated fat, 7 grams added sugar, 136 milligrams sodium.
Excerpted from “Half the Sugar, All the Love” by Jennifer Tyler Lee and Anisha Patel, MD, MSPH. Workman Publishing, 2019.
Read more stories like this by liking Atlanta Restaurant Scene on Facebook, following @ATLDiningNews on Twitter and @ajcdining on Instagram.