Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta metro area finished fifth, with an overall score of 67.81.
Although the area ranked in the top 20 in five of the categories, it was No. 63 in safety.
Within the key metrics, Atlanta ranked:
- 20th – travel costs and hassles
- 13th – local costs
- 20th – number of attractions
- 2nd – diversity of attractions
- 14th – cost of cheapest flight
- 5th – cost of three-star hotel
- 15th – weather
- 11th – activities
- 26th – average COVID-19 cases in the past week per capita
Finishing at the top of WalletHub’s ranking was the Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, Florida, metro area, with a score of 72.95.
Second place would require a plane ride, however, since it’s the urban Honolulu metro area, with a score of 72.89. Third and fourth place were New Orleans-Metairie and Austin-RoundRock-Georgetown, in that order.
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta wasn’t the only Georgia area on the list. A few hours east on Interstate 20 will take you to the No. 22 destination: Augusta-Richmond County, which scored 60.78.