News To Me

Interesting news breaking on the Internet from the AJC

Active Ashley Madison website users almost 100 percent male, analysis suggests

As any male from the 1990s with an internet connection and a chat client will tell you, there's not a lot of women online looking for no-strings attached sex.


An analysis of data recently released by hackers indicates almost 100 percent of the website's active users are men.

Gizmodo writer Annalee Newitz provides the details:

  • The company says only 5 million of the 37 million (about 14 percent) accounts belong to women, who don't have to pay to use adultery-promoting website because most women think the idea of paying for a chance to have sex is hilarious.
  • Many female accounts may be fake, created by Ashley Madison staffers. One worker sued because she said she sustained injuries as she created 1,000 fake profiles in three months. The case was settled out of court.
  • The second most popular IP address used to create profiles was, which suggests the profiles were made on Ashley Madison computers. Of the 80,000 such profiles, more than 80 percent were for women. The other 20 percent were either assigned to males or did not specify a gender.
  • More than 20 million male users checked their email at least once. Only 1,500 women checked their email at least once. That means zero percent of women were interested in what millions of sexually fired-up men have to say.
  • 11 million men initiated chats with women, about 2,400 women ... who may or may not have been Ashley Madison employees trying to keep the customer base happy by flirting.

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Officer in critical condition after shooting; suspect in custody
  2. 2 Atlanta college receives huge philanthropic gift
  3. 3 Man dies after being shot at Atlantic Station

The Gizmodo writer suggests most of the accounts created by real women may have been created by wives trying to catch their cheating husbands.

"Ashley Madison is a site where tens of millions of men write mail, chat, and spend money for women who aren’t there," says Newitz.

The internet is full of lonely, married men with credit cards.

More from AJC