Showers and thunderstorms on the way in metro Atlanta

Grab an umbrella if you plan on going out Wednesday night.

Clouds will cover metro Atlanta throughout most the day and produce showers and thunderstorms Wednesday night.

“As we head toward Wednesday by lunchtime, we’re pulling moisture in from the Atlantic and also from the Gulf, so you’re going to see an increase in the cloud cover,” Channel 2 Action News meteorologist Karen Minton said.

Clouds will thicken between noon and 3 p.m. By 11 p.m. Wednesday, showers and thunderstorms will push into the north metro area and move throughout the metro.

There’s an 80 percent chance of precipitation that will decrease to a 20 percent chance Thursday. By 5 a.m. that day, showers will have moved through metro Atlanta, Minton said.

Lasting effects of the wet weather will come in the form of a spring freeze cooling already below-average temperatures to the upper 50s Friday.

It’ll be even colder Saturday, with frost in some areas and temperatures dipping into the 30s throughout metro Atlanta.

Temperatures should start to rebound Sunday, when the high is expected to reach 65 degrees.

Temperatures were 67 degrees in Atlanta, 62 degrees in Blairsville and 69 degrees in Griffin at 7 p.m.

The pollen count, which had been increasing after showers passed through late last week, increased to 1,228 particles of pollen per cubic meter of air Tuesday following a drop Monday.

That's down from the current season high of 4,107 particles last Tuesday and under last year's season high was 6,152 particles on April 9.

» Check the full forecast and track changes