The team frequently includes MLS players Jonathan dos Santos of the L.A. Galaxy, Rodolfo Pizarro of Inter Miami and Alan Pulido of Sporting KC.
Martino was named Mexico’s manager in January 2019 after leading Atlanta United to the MLS Cup in 2018. He is 20-2-2 as Mexico’s manager.
The Honduran team is managed by Fabian Colto. Its team frequently includes Houston’s Maynor Figueroa and Dallas’ Bryan Acosta.
Andres Guardado celebrates his goal in 2-0 win over Paraguay at the Georgia Dome in May 2016. (Miguel Martinez / Mundo Hispanico)
Mexico’s history playing games in Atlanta:
- It defeated Venezuela 4-0, with more than 51,000 tickets sold or distributed in 2009.
- It defeated Bosnia and Herzegovina 2-0, with more than 50,000 tickets sold or distributed in 2011.
- It defeated Trinidad and Tobago 1-0, with more than 54,000 tickets sold or distributed in the 2013 Gold Cup.
- It tied Nigeria 0-0, with an Atlanta record of 68,212 tickets sold or distributed in 2014.
- Mexico broke that record in 2015 with 70,511 tickets sold or distributed for a 2-1 win over Panama in the semifinals of the Gold Cup. That game was a doubleheader with the Americans losing to Jamaica 2-1 in the other semifinal;
- In 2016, it defeated Paraguay 2-0 in an exhibition, with 63,049 tickets sold and distributed.
- In 2019, it defeated Venezuela 3-1 in an exhibition, with 51,834 tickets sold and distributed.
Tickets for the match will go on sale at 10 a.m. May 10 at www.MexTour.org.
Mexico and Honduras have played 37 times. Mexico leads the series 23-8-6.