THURSDAY’S WEATHER-TRAFFIC: Return of rain will not signal end of sunshine

A 60% chance of rain in the forecast Thursday will not mean a washout, according to Channel 2 Action News.

Credit: Channel 2 Action News

Credit: Channel 2 Action News

A 60% chance of rain in the forecast Thursday will not mean a washout, according to Channel 2 Action News.

Showers, storms and sunshine will all be in the mix for metro Atlanta on Thursday.

“We’re going to have a little bit of everything today,” Channel 2 Action News meteorologist Brian Monahan said. A 60% chance of rain is not exactly a washout, but it’s enough for those with outdoor plans to stay weather aware, he said.

“While we will see some showers and storms today, it is not everybody getting rain,” Monahan said. “It is not going to be as heavy as we saw on Tuesday, and it’s not going to last that long.”

An upper level disturbance is triggering showers in the northeast Georgia mountains on Thursday morning. Metro Atlanta is starting the day muggy and warm in the upper 70s, but mostly dry. Eventually, Monahan said that same weather system will slip south and provide the opportunity for pop-up downpours in the city this afternoon.

The rain will become more widespread after about 2 p.m., he said.

“Heavy rain will be our main impact from these storms as we go though the afternoon,” he said. “We still have some showers and storms around late this evening. Everything should start to settle down as we go through 11 p.m. tonight.”

Another 60% chance of rain is in the forecast Friday, according to Channel 2. Rain sticks around through the weekend, but Monahan said the likelihood is less with a 40% chance of showers Saturday and a 30% chance Sunday.

There is also the possibility another tropical system could impact Georgia’s weather in the coming days. Unlike Tropical Depression Fred, which dumped inches of rain and spawned severe storms Tuesday, Monahan said what is likely to become Hurricane Henri will have a drying effect.

“This could become a big problem for New York and Boston a little later this week,” he said. “It would have the effect of bringing some dry air here early next week.”

Drivers on the Southside are starting their morning with an ongoing traffic jam on I-75. An injury crash has blocked all northbound lanes at Bill Gardner Parkway in Locust Grove since before 4:30 a.m., and authorities remain on the scene at 7 a.m., according to the WSB 24-hour Traffic Center.

Georgia Department of Transportation officials do not expect the interstate to reopen before 8 a.m. Northbound traffic is being diverted. Commuters can use Ga. 42 to get around the closure, the Traffic Center reported.

Other metro Atlanta interstates remain delay-free at 7 a.m., according to the Traffic Center.

» For a detailed forecast, visit The Atlanta Journal-Constitution weather page.

» For updated traffic information, listen to News 95.5 and AM 750 WSB and follow @ajcwsbtraffic on Twitter.

» Download The Atlanta Journal-Constitution app for weather alerts on-the-go.