The Marietta Police Department is issuing several reminders to drivers in the city's school zones to enhance safety.
- Keep your full attention on the roadway.
- Watch for children and parents gathering at bus stops on street corners.
- Since vehicular and pedestrian traffic is increasing, especially in subdivisions and apartment complexes, slow down.
- Make sure to allow extra time to get to work or drop off children at school since congestion is increasing.
- Speed limits within school zones are strictly enforced.
- State law requires that traffic, in both directions, is required to stop for school buses loading and unloading their passengers. The only exception to this law is when there is a divided highway separated by a raised median and you are in the lane of traffic opposite that of the school bus.
Credit: Jason Getz / Jason.Getz@ajc.com