Marietta residents may be allowed to raise chickens in certain residential areas if the City Council so decides next month.
The Marietta City Council voted 6-1 recently, with Councilman Philip Goldstein opposed, to place legal advertisements for a public hearing at 7 p.m. Feb. 8 in the Council Chamber, first floor, Marietta City Hall, 205 Lawrence St.
This ordinance was requested by Councilman Grif Chalfant to allow domesticated chickens in the R1, R2, R3 and R4 zonings with these conditions:
- There must be an occupied residence on the lot, where chickens are allowed.
- The coop shall be no taller than 10 feet.
- Lots must be at least 15,000 square feet of property, where chickens are allowed, with a limit of five chickens. An additional chicken would be allowed with each additional 2,000 square feet of property.
- The limitation of fish will be removed from this section of the code.
- City staff will adjust the weight limit of each chicken allowed.
About the Author